Crossing Borders Foreign Worker Services

Helping employers hire temporary foreign workers

You are seeing this because you do not have FLASH installed.
We will replicate the content for your viewing experience.

Contact Us:

Crossing Borders Foreign Worker Services
Phone: 1-403-667-0994

Crossing Borders Foreign Worker Services - Navigation Links:

Temporary Foreign Worker Program

There are a number of important things to consider when hiring foreign workers;

Foreign workers must have a valid work permit to work in Canada. First they must submit an application for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) to the Service Canada centre that will do all the processing of applications. Make sure that job offer is genuine, that the wages and working conditions are comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the occupation and that there has been sufficient recruitment efforts to hire or train Canadians.
Human Resources and Social Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC) have piloted the Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project with 21 occupations to help expedite the processing of Labour Market Opinions (LMO) for employers who want to hire temporary foreign workers in Alberta and British Columbia for full-time work.
Make sure to post jobs on the Government of Canada Job Bank website.
Carpenters (Journeyman/Woman)
Manufacturing & Processing Labourers
Civil Engineers
Mechanical Engineers
Commercial Janitors,
Mechanical Engineering Technologists
Construction Labourers
Petroleum Engineers
Crane Operators(Journeyman/Woman)
Delivery Drivers
Registered Nurses
Dental Technicians
Residential Cleaning and Support Workers
Electrical & Electronics Engineers
Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks
Food and Beverage Servers
Food Counter Attendants
Ski and Snowboard Instructors
Food Service Supervisors
Specialized Cleaners
Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
Steamfitters, Pipefitters
Hotel Front Desk Clerks
Surveyor Helpers
Hotel and Hospitality
Room Attendants
Tour and Travel Guides
Industrial Electricians
Industrial Meat Cutters

Canada's Foreign Worker Program

Growing labour shortage prompted the Government of Canada to implement the Foreign Worker Program. Companies can hire experienced foreign workers from all over the world. Foreign worker occupations are classifed in managerial, skilled A and B, Low swilled C and D.
The Foreign Workers whose occupations are C and D can work in Canada for up-to 24 months.
In order to renew their contracts the Foreign worker must return to their home country for a minimum of 4 months whose occupations are C and D. For those in A & B can renew without leaving.
How do you hire Foreign Workers?
There are two steps:
* Existence of labour shortages in the occupation.
* If the Foreign Worker will contribute with new skills and knowledge.
*Quebec's companies must get the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
2) Getting the Work Permit in the Canadian Consulate:
* Foreign Workers must apply for their work permit in the Canadian Consulate where they reside.
* They must present the contract, the LMO and all their work and education certificates. Other documentation is usually required according to the Consulate regulations of each country.
Employers obligations to foreign workers:
* For positions classified as C or D ( low skilled foreign workers) employers must pay the air ticket and help with the housing arrangements (the rent should be less than 30% of the gross salary).
* For positions classified as 0, A or B, ( skilled foreign workers) the employer does not have to provide the air tickets.
* Employers must help the foreign workers to get their SIN cards and health insurance. In provinces such as Alberta or BC there is no waiting time to be eligible for health insurance, whereas in Ontario it's 3 months.
How long does it take to hire a foreign worker?
The LMO processing time could be as short as one week with the Expedited Labour Market Opinion E-LMO in BC and Alberta, 4 to 5 weeks in Ontario or 22 weeks in BC or Alberta for occupations that are not listed under the E-LMO.
Foreign Workers in Alberta and Foreign Workers in BC:
Foreign Workers have become a great solution because they can work for two years (low skilled) or more (skilled) and have experience. They are qualified for the specific demands of the different industries. Alberta and BC's companies have taken great advantage of the Foreign Worker Program.

Applying as a temporary foreign worker

The Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program is headed by a couple of federal government departments, Human Resources and Social Development Canada (Service Canada) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

The program allows for Foreign workers to work in Canada temporarily and also it addresses the labour shortages that Canadian employers are facing..

Non-Canadians require work permits from the CIC before beginning work. They also must obtain a temporary work visa from certain countries before arriving in Canada. As a temporary foreign worker, your employer has a role in the application process. Before you receive a work permit, your Alberta employer may have to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO - an approval to hire a foreign worker) from the federal government. Once your employer sends an LMO to you along with an offer of employment, you can apply for a work permit at the designated Canadian visa office.

Some foreign workers can be admitted to work in Canada without their employer having to obtain an LMO. Citizenship and Immigration Canada determines whether an occupation falls under this category.

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site includes some information to help temporary foreign workers arriving in Canada. For example, there are some documents that you may need when you enter and work in Canada.

As a temporary foreign worker, your employer is responsible for making sure that you are covered by medical and health insurance and worker's compensation when you arrive in Canada.

All workers, including temporary foreign workers, are covered by provincial Employment Standards. In general, occupations in Alberta are covered by Occupational Health and Safety legislation (some exceptions are farm workers, housekeepers and nannies). Visit the Alberta Employment and Immigration web site for more information.